Finished projects!

Standard

So today, I am enjoying the rewards of my own baking, with a little bit of help from b.  I’ve never made a Victoria sponge before and thought we’d make one to use up some strawberries that were on the turn in the fridge. 

image

Mmmm yummy strawberries, blueberries and grandma’s plumb and rum jam.
I made b a little apron some time ago, and every time she sees it coming out and me puting mine on, she gets all excited. She knows she is going to sit on the sideboard alongside my mixing bowl and stick her fingers in and lick the spatular! Pretty much like we did as children.

image

And I’m happy to say, it turned out well and was not as difficult as I thought!

image

And doesn’t it look nice under my little cover. I bought that from Aldi for only about 3.00

Well I really want to share with you my latest project. Remember my sneaky peak….

image

Well this is what it turned in to….

image

A luminary! To put a candle in for the garden.

image

There is a jam jar inside. What a nice way to recycle a jamjar.

image

So I started off with a chain 4.
In the second round I double crocheted two stitches in every stitch.
I did this again in round 3.

image

Like this….

image

You need to check that your flat circle is the circumference of your jamjar or a little wider.  If it’s not, just do another round as before.
Once it is, then chain 4, and slip stitch in to the middle of every other stitch so your circle has a little frilly edge. Basically, you just keep going round and round doing this until it is about an inch taller than your jamjar.

image

You then need to make the straps. I’ve gone for long straps but you can do as you wish.

image

Just make a chain long enough to fasten either side, but make sure the stitches are tight.  You need to make two chains the same length.

image

And sew them on really securely about an inch and a half down from the top. Make sure they are all in line or they are going to make your luminary wonky.

image

I then made a contrasting chain to weave in and out to act as a drawstring. 

image

And fastened a little button on. I am going to add some beads yet to the tassles.

image

I’m really pleased with it and hope it makes a nice birthday present for the lady that it is for.

image

My Echinacea got even more interesting since I last showed you, and finally, finally……

image

Today it bloomed.
And look what m brought me the other evening….

image

Another rescued plant from the yellow sticker bin. This time, the grand total of 2.50!!! It was very wilted but has sprung back to life in our south facing window.
Well, that’s it for now. Going to carry on with my stripey blanket that is taking forever!!!!

image

Xxxxx

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s